Sunday, July 12, 2009

-Sympathy for Lady Dixie-

I've already put it out there that the subject material of my work relies heavily on my childhood and the culture that framed it, but it would be sheer idiocy to claim that growing up Southern was the only damned thing that's ever come across my plate.

If my childhood supplied the content, Asia designed my aesthetic. Specifically, the violence and horror genres. The color palettes, the composition, the lighting- all of it I learned from Asian cinema. Especially from director's such as South Korea's Park Chan-wook.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

My educational background is actually Asian studies and that foundation has become a heavy basis for my adult perspectives. The amount of influence it's had on me at this point could fill a month of Sundays, but for now, it'll have to be enough to give credit where credit is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment